Sunday 9 February 2014

Girl Guide Trefoil Toque

Girl Guide Trefoil Toque Knitting Pattern 


Cast on 80 stitches.

Work 12 rows in ribbing (either (k1, p1) or (k2, p2). 
If you don’t want a cuff knit 2 rows in stocking stitch and then start pattern; if you do want a cuff knit 14 rows in stocking stitch and then start pattern.

To work pattern you must be on a knit row. Knit 31 stitches and then start following the chart.
5
10
15
19












































































5































































































10































































































15

























































18





















Knit one row; purl one row then, start shaping the top:
    Row 1: (must be a knit row) knit 2 together, knit 6 repeat across row
    Row 2: purl
    Row 3: knit 2 together, knit 5 repeat across row
    Row 4: purl
    Row 5: knit 2 together, knit 4 repeat across row
    Row 6: purl
    Row 7: knit 2 together, knit 3 repeat across row
    Row 8: purl
    Row 9: knit 2 together, knit 2 repeat across row
    Row 10: purl
    Row 11: knit 2 together, knit 1 repeat across row
    Row 12: purl
    Row 13: knit 2 together, repeat across row
    Row 14: purl 2 together, repeat across row

Repeat last 2 rows until you are left with 3 stitches. Cut yarn along enough to stitch the side of the hat and pull through the remaining stitches.

** this pattern is designed for going back and forth.  I did it in a round, until the design, then I went back and forth, the continued in a round.  Then I only had a small seam to sew together.

I can't take credit for this pattern.  I found it years ago on www.wkagirlguides.ca, but it is no longer active.  

If you don't like the trefoil, here is some other versions of the trefoil (available in one template)

13 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for posting this! I just seen it on the cover of Canadian Guider and thought I must know how to knit this! I just made a trefoil cup cozy and can't wait to add this to my collection! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could you help once more? What size needles do I use?

      Delete
    2. I found I had to use really small needles, like 4.5, otherwise the hat was really big!

      Delete
  2. I'm trying to make this hat . First one is too tight in the round . I'm not sure how you started in round then went back and forth ? Dud you carry both colors all the way to the end ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello,
      I started as a round, then when I reached the pattern, I started going back and forth. I did not carry the wool all the way around. That is why I started going back and forth, so that I did not have to carry the wool.

      Delete
  3. The original hat was knitted flat and then seamed (the pattern tells you start on a knit row). However this could easily be worked in the round if you preferred that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What weight of yarn do we use for the hat? Is it worsted?
    Thanks,
    Ali

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have used different types and weights of wool. I haven't try worsted wool, though. Sorry.
      As you can use different types of wool, the tension should be: 18 stitches and 25 rows = 11.5 cm

      Delete
  5. Is this a child size hat or adult

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry, not a knitter, but hoping I can convince my aunt to help out....how much wool is needed for one hat? TIA

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi I am in guiding in the UK and have just come across your brilliant hat pattern!
    I was thinking of getting the girls in my unit to make and sell these hats to raise funds for jamboree next summer. I can't use the UK trefoil for copywriter reasons so I was wondering if you have any objection to me using your Canadian design in the uk,?

    ReplyDelete